I decided to get the Acmezoom Mulepack panniers after seeing their video having a pick-up truck rolling over them :) For racks I chose the Procycle racks. If you haven’t read my review on different pannier types and why I chose the Mule Pack Panniers you can find it here: Choosing the Acmezoom Mule Pack Panniers for the DR650

Storage Space Addition to the Mule Pack Panniers

Pannier Top Covers

I replaced the provided straps to fix something to the top of the panniers with Rokstraps commuter straps. Much more sturdy and practical.

On the top of the pannier cover I added some adhesive rubbermat (found on ebay), since everytime I put something there while standing it just slided off and fell to the ground. I also replaced the straps that were included with the Mule Pack Panniers with some decent Rokstraps. They fit perfectly and are much better than regular straps. I also didn’t like the “hang in” type of connector on the provided straps. Currently I strap my Helinox Chair One on one side and a Sea To Summit Big River drybag (13L) containing my shoes on the other side to the top of the panniers.

20150904-1326_IMG_0611

Panniers Rear Side

On the rear side of the panniers I added double bottle holders from Touratech. They stand out a little on the bottom side, but since the pannier has a curved bottom there is no problem putting them on the ground, they even stand more stable now. They hold 1,5L drinking bottles and Primus fuel bottles or even a fuel canister.

Panniers Front Side

On the front side of the panniers I added a MOLLE base, made from a Zentauron backpiece for their chest rig (ebay). It has the perfect width for the lower part of the panniers and was long enough to make a base for either pannier. Each side has now three rows and for columns of MOLLE straps. I cut the backpiece to fit the panniers, melted and sewed the cutting edges of the cordura and the used a soldering iron to make some holes for attachment to the panniers (three on the top, two on the bottom). I then used M5 bolts, washers and locknuts to attach them to the panniers.

On the left pannier I added a Miltec medium multipurpose pouch. It’s perfect to hold things that I need quick access to, like two rolls of toilet paper for instance. On the right side I used a MFH map pouch. It has the perfect size to hold my first aid kit. On the outside it has velcro, so I added a first aid cross pach and a bloodgroup patch. Also on each side I added a OneTigris bottleholder. Perfect for a bottle of WD40 or a small drinking bottle.

Adding a 5$ Toolbox to your Procycle Racks

I needed a place to store tools, spares and consumables. The classic option of using a pipe did not work, since it’s diameter is to small to fit my roll. A friend had the Idea of using an IKEA kitchen box for this. I followed his idea and put one myself together.

First, I wrapped the box with a layer of tape to give it some stability and in case it get’s a crack won’t fall in parts right away. The box already had a hole from a drop in the kitchen. So I left this ofen for pressure equalization and to rinse water.

Then I put on a layer of 0.5mm self adhesive foam pad. This should protect from flying rocks and distribute the load of the hose clamps better. One more layer of tape, since I assumed the foam pads would otherwise fall off quickly.

The cover needed some additional securing so it won’t fall off. I used a lanyard keychain with a buckle for this.

Eventually the box was attached to the racks using large stainless steel hose clamps. I added another bit of foam pads on the bottom and on the top so the box won’t slide around. Since the box need some space away from the front rack pipe (giving space to attach the panniers) I produced a spacer myself. After trying out with some thicker foam pads I finnaly used a cork “brick”. It’s those used for sandpaper usually.

The box now holds some spares and consumables (quiksteel, wheel repair kit, etc.) packed in a little packing cube style bag found at walmart.

Replacing the Stock DR650 Tooltube

I didn’t like the stock tool tube so the idea was simple, replace it with a little bag that fits behind the plastic side cover. I first used an old kiddy pencil case that was laying around but then found a bicycle frame bag (Vaude Cruiser Bag) whose shape fit perfectly in the space behind the plastic cover. Easy to install too with the velcro straps it comes with.

 

Adding a, sorry two Fenderbags

I started my trip without fenderbag. But buying spare tubes quickly filled up my luggage to the limit, so I had to get one. Since I was in Colorado close to Wolfman Luggage I stopped by and could talk to Eric for a while. He gave me a little discount on their Wolfman fenderbag and off I went with a new home for my spare tyres.

However I could not fit a front and rear tube at the same time in there, I tried all the folding I could think of but I just couldn’t get it in there. So I decided to replace it with the Enduristan fenderbag, which is waterproof and due to it’s shape can easily take two spare tubes.

The Wolfman fenderbag didn’t go out of service however. After a couple of walks around my DR I found a new place for it: I simply mounted it on my little windscreen. Now I carry some spares in there that are not sensitive to water exporsure, like spare brake and clutch levers.


Please leave your comments about the article below and don't forget to subscribe to the weekly newsletter.


More cool stories and photos